The historic marker that was placed at the Little Mary’s River Covered Bridge site in 2007 has been missing.
The Illinois State Historical Society and the Bowman Co. of re-enactors were instrumental in researching the route of George Rogers Clark’s march from Fort Massac to Kaskaskia in 1778 and finding the five locations that the troop had camped on their secret mission. The closest public site to the camp in Randolph County was the covered bridge.
Elaine Evans began trying to find the missing plaque. Several others helped in the search. The marker has been found stored in an Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) shed.
IDOT has replaced the marker and a re-dedication ceremony will be held on Nov. 17 at 2 p.m.
The ceremony will be held at the Little Mary’s River Covered Bridge Site, located on State Route 150, two miles east of Chester.
The public is invited to attend.